Thursday, September 20, 2012

Buying Boxed Sets

I was recently consumed with  angst about the state of my painting kit, and was pondering buying a big set - 'Bluebear Jeff' and 'Ubique Matt' were kind enough to give some thoughts (thanks guys!) and as they rather confirmed some things I'd thought myself, I've restricted action to a rather more restrained purchase of some individual paints and a couple of good brushes.

On the subject of big 'boxed sets' however, I have also found myself pondering my next gaming move now that things are finally settling down.  Current ones are easy, as the outstanding purchases are the 1/72 boxes necessary for the 1815 French army at Waterloo, and finally to complete the Prussian one further down the line.  I've been progressing the painting on the Anglo-Allied army, and as finished units begin to appear it makes sense to run their enemies in tandem, so at least a few little scraps can be played.

Besides that, the other obvious one is the 1/72 Union Army of the Potomac, which will be needed to go on the table against the (nearly completed!) Confederate force.  After that however, what next?  I change my mind on future projects roughly every week, but you've got to start somewhere and see if the same idea keeps bobbing up in your mind over the weeks and months.

One future project I want to do is more WW2 stuff.  I've also been torn over time between doing high-level strategic stuff in Pendraken 10mm, or doing 28mm tactical games.  Things have been complicated recently by Warlord Games releasing the 'Bolt Action' tactical-level rules, in the same style as Black Powder & Hail Caesar, to compliment lines of figures they do.  Also, it's part-written by Rick Priestley, who was the games guru that created most of the Games Workshop things that first introduced me to wargaming.  From reading reviews of the mechanics online it also appears to be a kind of descendant from the old WH40k Epic games, which I absolutely loved back in the early 1990s.  So, there's that to ponder.

Bolt Action has also got Warlord offering big 'army deals' for the armies as starter sets, which is pretty tempting.  But, in a strange twist of fate, this has also happened elsewhere.  Perry miniatures are now doing their Wars of the Roses figures in 'army deals' which they used to only do for ACW and Napoleonic ranges (or maybe they've been doing it for ages - I only noticed it had been added recently.)  I know that more WOTR figures might possibly be completely mad, given how many I already have done and painted.  Then again, the 'Bloody Barons' rules have proved to be a lot of fun on a few try-outs, and let's be honest: how many wargamers have you ever heard complain that their armies are too big?

1 comment:

  1. Regarding a "new period" . . . I've found that what I really want in a new period is a very different "feel" to it than what I've been playing.

    Personally for the past few years I've been primarily playing early to mid 18th century "linear warfare" armies and 19th century Colonial "semi-skirmish" armies. The two different feels keep refreshing me.

    You will have your own tastes, which is fine, so I will only suggest that any new period promise a very different "feel" to what you've been playing.


    -- Jeff

    PS, thanks for the mention on paints

    ReplyDelete